How did you lose your best friend?

Losing your best friend is like losing half of your heart.

How did you lose your best friend
How did you lose your best friend?

“I don’t want to be your friend anymore”

This is how my hell started when I was in lower school.

Together with my best friend at the time, let’s call her Martha, we went to an Easter camp of a club we were both a part of. We used to do this every year with loads of other kids from different ages.

I always loved the camp and couldn’t wait to go with my best friend Martha again! Though this time turned out different.

Me and Martha had been friends since the first moment we started lower school, at 4 years old. We met and instantly became friends. Had many playdates, went on “adventures” together (finding bugs and butterflies, making treehuts and cycling through a small forest closeby). We also had a lot of sleepovers and shared a lot of secrets. Our parents became close and till the day of today still meet up. She was the best friend I had ever known.

Though once in a while we would have discussions. This mostly started when both got older and started develop different point of views on things. To me this was not a bad thing, people have different opions. Maybe she saw this in a differnt way.

So when we both were 10 years old (there was only a month difference between us) we went on this Easter camp. The first day everything seemed normal but she acted a bit distant. I didn’t suspect anything yet, but felt a bit left out. That day she hid my stuffed animal I slept with (I just loved that animal, I had to take it with me on camp). I did not find out that moment but later that week on camp. I was confused as to where I left it and she instantly came to the rescue. As if she was a hero. She was not. I thanked her and was happy she helped me, my lovely best friend.

The second day she acted strange and walked away every time I came near to her. I did not understand and kept looked for her. After all, we were best friends, we always used to stick together. This time we did not. At one point I lost her and asked some other kids where she was. They pointed me in her direction and I finally found her. She was with some other kids and soon ordered them to go away when she saw me coming. She stayed. At that very moment she told me that she didn’t hang out with me anymore. Blunt. No explanation. She walked away.

I stood there, shocked with tears in my eyes. No words were coming out of my mouth and suddenly I felt like a bomb had been dropped on me. I had never felt so alone. I had lost my best friend.

After that she also told other kids not to hang out with me on the camp. I was completely alone and didn’t know what to do. Mind that I was actually a very social kid (and till the day of to day still am a very social person!) but I totally turned into myself. For a period of time I became very introverted and shy to kids my age.

When coming back from the Easter camp she still ignored me. We were in the same class. Not only that, but she also turned the kids of my class against me. They were not allowed to hang out with me. I was weird, too smart and either I would laugh or cry too much. Nothing seemed right and after that I got bullied on for 1,5 years.

Luckily I left for high school after having that very difficult period. After that I grew a lot and now finally feel like myself again but with a broken part of not being able to trust anyone as I did before.

That is how I lost my best friend. I still don’t know why.

Shared by Daphne Nijkamp

Read more:

Products:

Comments